Forgiveness is the means by which damaged relationships are restored. It is anact of the will, motivated by love. For Christians, Jesus’ death on a cross is the ultimate revelation of God’s all-forgiving love, and his sacrifice stands as a source of inspiration to forgive others, no matter what the cost.
Bible verses about forgiveness
Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven. (Matthew 18:21-22)
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ, God forgave you. (Ephesians 4:32)
For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not die but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
If you are sensible, you will control your temper. When someone wrongs you, it is a great virtue to ignore it. (Proverbs 19:11)
Bible stories about forgiveness
Why not look these up in a Bible?
- Prodigal (or lost) Son – Luke 15:11-32
- Song asking for forgiveness – Psalm 51
- A gift of perfume – Luke 7: 36-50
- Story of Jonah – book of Jonah
- Jesus’ crucifixion – Matthew 27
- Lost sheep and lost coin – Luke 15: 1- 10
- Peter denying Jesus – Luke 22:54-62 and John 21:15-19
Our collective worship on Forgiveness will be in Spring 2 2019.