Welcome to YEAR 5!
Hello, we are now in our last half of the summer term. Our teaching assistants will continue to be Mrs Evans in the morning, Miss Logan and Mrs Mizera in the afternoon. Our theme is around the World Cup and we will be learning about celebrations in countries around the world.
English – Our focus is on celebrations around the world. The children will be learning about the Venetian Carnival, Midsummer Festival, the NHS, Japan’s Children’s Day and Diwali. We will be reading a range of different books, including ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’. This will be the basis for writing newspapers, informational texts, creating television adverts and debating.
Spellings – Each week children are given a set of spellings. They will be tested every Tuesday. There are now spellings tasks that they can do with family or friends on the back of their spellings sheets.
Maths – This term we are focussing on shapes and measurements;
- 3D shapes and nets
- Position and direction
- Converting measurements
Times tables will also be a priority this term.
- All homework is given out on Tuesday and must be handed in by the following morning
- Each week one piece of English and Maths will be set. Occasionally a separate piece of times table practice will be given.
- Children should also be reading independently at least once a week at home
- E. days are Thursday with Mr Lindsay and Friday (indoor) with Mrs FitzGibbon
- All children need a P.E. kit, including either pumps or trainers
We will continue to have a ‘table of the week’. This award goes to the table who have worked their hardest and shown excellent behaviour throughout the week. The winning table chooses a prize from our class treasure chest.
If you have any questions or problems, please come and see me any afternoon after school.