Welcome to YEAR 5!
Hello, we are now in our first half of the summer term. Our teaching assistants will continue to be Mrs Evans in the morning and Miss Logan in the afternoon.
English – Our focus is on science fiction. We will be reading a range of science fiction books. This will be the basis for writing a detailed story and debating. We will also be working in groups to write a storybook for younger children, that I will aim to have printed professionally.
Spellings – Each week children are given a set of spellings. They will be tested every Tuesday. There are now spellings tasks that they can do with family or friends on the back of their spellings sheets.
Maths – This term we are focussing on decimals and percentages;
- Converting decimals to fractions
- Converting fractions to decimals
- Rounding decimals
- Ordering decimals
- Percentages as fractions and decimals
Times tables will also be a priority this term.
- All homework is given out on Tuesday and must be handed in by the following morning
- Each week one piece of English and Maths will be set. Occasionally a separate piece of times table practice will be given.
- Children should also be reading independently at least once a week at home
- PE. days are Tuesday for DCC and Friday (indoor) with Mrs FitzGibbon
- All children need a P.E. kit, including either pumps or trainers
We will continue to have a ‘table of the week’. This award goes to the table who have worked their hardest and shown excellent behaviour throughout the week. The winning table chooses a prize from our class treasure chest.
If you have any questions or problems, please come and see me any afternoon after school.