The main buildings of our school date back to 1863 when the school opened and was then known as Audenshaw National School. Since that time the school has changed its name to St. Stephen’s C.E. Primary School then to Audenshaw C.E. Primary School and finally back to St. Stephen’s C.E. Primary School.
A feature that has not changed, however, throughout the school’s long history is the strong ties between St Stephen’s Church and the school. St Stephen’s C.E Primary School is a Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School for children aged 5 to 11 years. This means that in addition to local and central government support we depend to some extent on financial backing from St Stephen’s Church. The Vicar, Rev. R Dixon, visits school for an assembly with the junior and infant children every week. On special occasions, such as Christmas, Harvest and Easter we share in worship at Stephen’s Church.
The close association with the Church, and the Christian commitment of its staff, have given the school a caring, family atmosphere which children and parents enjoy. The ethos of the school is of a family learning together and enables us to value each other as individuals and the contribution each individual can make to the school. An emphasis is also given to politeness and consideration for others both in school and the local community. Children are introduced to Christian values, which are reinforced throughout the whole school environment.
This school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the well being of all children, and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.